Friday, April 3, 2009

Five Little Pigs Review



Five Little Pigs


Author: Agatha Christie


Genre: Murder Mystery


Number of Pages: 240


It was an open and shut case. All the evidence said Caroline Crale Poisoned her philandering husband, a brilliant painter. Now, sixteen years later, in a posthumous letter, Mrs. Crale has assured her grown daughter that she was innocent. To find out the truth, the Crale's daughter asks Hercule Poirot to reopen the case. His investigation takes him deep into the conflicting memories and motivations of the five other people who were with the Crales on the fatal day. With his keen understanding of human psychology, he manages to discover the surprising truth behind the artist's death.


I must say that this is definitely my favourite Agatha Christie book, and I've read at least 7 of her books. There was a lot of description and not very much action, but the way Agatha Christie wrote held my interest ( I'm not much of a description girl) and I could see it all happening in my mind. Though the plot was not nearly as complicated as other Agatha Christie books, this one was . . . well, I don't really know how to explain why this was my favourite book. Maybe it's because of the plot: the fact that all the evidence said that Amyas Crale was poisoned by his wife. Pretty simple, right? Then comes the complication: in a post-humous letter ( a letter sent after she died), Mrs. Crale assures her grown daughter that she was innocent. Hercule Poirot ( definitely my favourite Agatha Christie detective) is asked to re-open the case. But, if Caroline Crale didn't poison her husband, who did? After all, there were five other people at the Crale house on that fatal day . . .
I have a few favourite passages from the book that I would like to share with you.
" ' Well, come now, M. Poirot! Without prejudice. She threatens to kill him. She takes the stuff from the laboratory. The empty bottle is found in her room and nobody has handled it but her. ' "
" ' ***** has counted, no doubt, upon Caroline's being suspected and the coniine bottle being found in her room. But Caroline now plays into ***** hands completely. She brings down some iced beer and pours it out for her husband.
Amyas tosses it off, makes a face, and says, ' 'Everything tastes foul today' '.
Do you not see how significant that remark is? ' "
I put the stars in there because this is a passage from the end and if I put what was originally there it would somewhat tell you who the murderer is.
Also, I would never have realized who the murderer is! Each person gives their narrative with such an air of innocence that I did not know who it was until the very end. It was also interesting to see that everybody felt a little differently towards Caroline Crale. Some were so sure that she had done it, others positive that she was innocent . . . who's right? Read the book and find out.
If you are new to Agatha Christie books, this is the book that you should start with. The plot is not as complicated as others, so it is easier to understand, perfect for a first book. And if you're already an Agatha Christie fan and haven't read this book yet, what are you waiting for? Go out and get it! I have no doubt that you will love it as much as I did . . . which is why I give this book a definite A+.

2 comments:

  1. Nicer review M-M! I haven't read this one but I'm going to have to borrow it from someone . . . :) Also, on your sidebar you spelled Sarah Dessen wrong. Just saying.

    One other thing, thanks for complimenting my blog! Yours is brilliant too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reveiw! I might consider reading that, although I am not a big fan of Agatha Christie...HEY, wait a minute, I know you! YOU KNOW ME , RIGHT?!
    By the way, I am having a poll on my blog, if you would like to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete